Based in Bordeaux, France
Dead Cells is a roguelike, Castlevania-inspired action-platformer, allowing you to explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle… assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers. To beat the game you’ll have to master 2D souls-like like combat with the ever present threat of permadeath looming. No checkpoints. Kill, die, learn, repeat.
We’re huge fans of Roguelikes and Castlevania… So it was only natural for us to give birth to their bastard son, the Roguevania.
We especially love the threat, adrenaline and that addictive feeling of having no checkpoints to save you from your screw ups. Procedural generation is also a great way to provide a fair amount of diversity, while we make sure the level design always stays fun. We’re aiming to offer a different experience in each and every run and still give the world a meticulously handcrafted feel.
Yet, we also wish to add our little something something to the classic recipe of a Roguelike map. Instead of the regular, rigid progression between levels, we would rather leave some room for the player to choose their path. For instance, you could reach the dungeon, by taking on either the ramparts level or the sewers. Some paths will be shorter but harder, or maybe the foes there will be more suited to your playstyle. So, it’s up to you to choose your strategy and make it as far as you can.
And, it won’t be easy. We choose to design the combat to be quite close to what you can find in the Souls games. Every weapon has its own unique gameplay and art, bosses and monsters are pattern-based, but at least, you still get invincibility frames on your roll. We’re going for that “tough but fair” feeling.
But sometimes, you want to take a break from all this violence. Explore a bit, take a stroll, enjoy the view from the ramparts, find a secret room. Thomas and Gwen, our graphic artists, take every opportunity they can to whip up something that’s going to make you want to stop and look around for a while. And maybe, you’ll learn a little more about the story of the place, who knows?
- RogueVania: Intense 2D action with the adrenaline pumping threat of permadeath in a castle full of cuddly creatures.
- Souls-like combat: Pattern-based bosses and minions, weapons and spells with unique gameplay. Roll roll roll your boat gently down the stream…
- Nonlinear progression: Unlock new levels with every death, take a new path. Tired of the stinking sewers? Why not take the ramparts?
- Exploration: Secret rooms, hidden passages, charming landscapes. A fine place for a holiday.
Logo & Icon
- Stay up to date with the dev via facebook.
- Or Twitter...
- And indieDB
- We've even got a dev blog if you like that kind of thing...
JOURNALISTS LOOK ERE!
- If you would like to know anything about the game, interview us, get your hands on some original screens, video or whtever... Then please don't hesitate to contact us via the email below. We check this mailbox every day and will get back to you as fast as we can.
About Motion Twin
Who are these guys anyway?
Motion Twin is an independent games studio based in Bordeaux, France. We've been raging at the machines since 2001 and we're planning on keeping it up for as long as people keep playing our games. We're responsible for Die2Nite, Mush, DinoRPG and more recently Uppercup Football on mobile. You can find out way more about us here .
deepnight (Sébastien Bernard)
Lead Developer/Game designer
skool (Pascal Peridont)
Senior developer (Mr Fixit).
tipyx (Mathieu Pistol)
looping (Mathieu Capdegelle)
Technical developer (THE Shader whisperer)
carduus (Thomas Vasseur)
Creative Director (Sir Squiggle)
gwen (Gwenael Massé)
buzzard (Steve Filby)
That marketing bastard...